Sclerotherapy is an innovative and minimally invasive treatment option for people who face pain or discomfort due to their varicose or spider veins. Sclerotherapy is a non-surgical treatment that allows blood to reroute and flow through healthier veins. This eventually leads to the varicose or spider veins fading over time. However, taking proper care of yourself after getting sclerotherapy injections is crucial. Schedule a consultation with a doctor today if you are looking for sclerotherapy treatments in Boise, ID.
What should you do before your sclerotherapy treatment?
Some pre-treatment care is required before getting the sclerotherapy injections. These include:
- Avoid aspirin or any blood thinning products for at least 7-9 days before your appointment.
- On the day of the treatment, do not shave or use any kind of depilatories on your legs.
- Do not apply lotion to your legs on the day of the treatment.
- Before the procedure, shower and thoroughly clean your legs with antibacterial soap.
- Expect possible bruising for approximately one week after the procedure.
- It is not uncommon to experience mild muscle cramping. If necessary, taking Tylenol can help.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes or shorts for the treatment.
- Try to avoid smoking and alcohol two days before and after the procedure.
- Ask your doctor about any questions you may have before getting the procedure.
What should you do after your sclerotherapy treatment?
Some care instructions for after the sclerotherapy procedure are:
- After treatment, wear thigh-high compression stockings 24 hours a day for one week. They can be worn in the shower and dried with a hair drier in the cool setting. During the second week after sclerotherapy, wear them as much as possible during the day to help increase blood flow in the legs and keep the treated veins flattened.
- After the first week, the stockings can be removed at night or whenever the legs are elevated. Wearing compression stockings will help you achieve the greatest possible outcome with the fewest side effects. If you are pregnant, stand or sit for more than 6 hours a day, or have a strong family history of varicose veins, you should continue to wear them as part of your daily routine.
- After the procedure, do not shave your legs for at least three to four days.
- To avoid dilating veins, avoid jacuzzis or hot baths for at least a few days after the treatment.
Speak to a doctor today.
If you have any questions regarding sclerotherapy or are considering the treatment, you should talk to an experienced and skilled doctor. Schedule a constellation with a doctor today and get the help you need.